Monday, October 9, 2017

10.9.17 The Keppra Wean

Some days are easier than others. Some days I almost forget Bennett has had over 40 seizures in the last 3 months. Or that it isn't normal for a 10-month old be such a pro at taking medicine from syringes multiple times a day. Some days I can forget the last time he stopped breathing in my arms. The last time he convulsed unconsciously for minutes on end while I held him helplessly. I forget that we have no idea what the rest of his life holds--or ours, for that matter--as far as his health is concerned. I just enjoy watching my baby play with his dog, smile when his dad throws him up in the air, swim in the bath, and other normal baby things.

Other days are harder. Today's a hard day for me. We're weaning Bennett off of the first medication  (Keppra) he was put on back when the seizures first started in July because I'm worried about what the side effects are doing to him developmentally and it doesn't seem like it's controlling the seizures anyway. So even though I feel relatively confident that this is the right thing to try right now, I'm terrified. There's something about being on medicines that feels proactive--even though in reality, he's probably better off without this one. It's scarier to feel like we're not giving him every medicine we possibly can than it is to just keep throwing medicine at the problem hoping something works eventually. 

It's been 2 weeks since we started the slow-wean and I feel like I've gotten pieces of my Bennett back every day. He responds to his name a little more frequently now, he can put himself to sleep without a swaddle most of the time, he eats food again and takes his bottles more easily, and the best thing is that he seems less upset all of the time. But also since we started lowering his dose I feel like all I've been doing for days on end now is staring at him intently--just waiting for the first sign of the impending seizure to start. Every time he's quiet in the car for more than a minute or so, I look back there to make sure his eyes aren't pinned or glazed, that his hand isn't twitching, his head isn't dropping. Every time he strains to poop I hold my breath afraid he's about to turn blue. Every time he hits his head on something, I immediately scoop him up just in case he starts seizing because of it. And every time he gets out of the bath my heart beats a little faster with the fear that we could be about to relive that first night he seized.

He actually hasn't had any withdrawal or rebound seizures since we initially lowered the dose, which is a great sign--except I personally think it bolsters my argument that Keppra was never helping in the first place, and may have actually made his seizures more frequent. But tomorrow night we'll be giving him his last dose and then he'll be fully off of Keppra. Relying on just the Phenobarbital (the second med he's on) to control his seizures. Some people do fine when they come all the way off Keppra--others start to see massive increases in seizures, and we're just sitting right in the middle of not-knowing right now. I guess they can have rebound seizures up to a week or two after the wean is complete, so this ambiguity will continue until then at least for now. 

My friend asked me yesterday what I'm most scared of happening after his last dose tonight. I wasn't completely honest with her because I wasn't ready to say it out loud yet, but I'm terrified that if we can't control the seizures he'll have one that lasts long enough that we can't stop it on our own and he'll end up in the hospital fighting for his life. We've been lucky so far that his longest seizure was just 10 minutes 2 weeks ago and it stopped on its own, but even that was scary because it was an increase from his typical 5 minute seizures. Which means there's a chance they could ramp up and continue to get longer and scarier unless we figure out the right med cocktail to keep them at bay--which unfortunately seems less common the more I research about idiopathic epilepsy at this young age. 

Here's to hoping the Phenobarbital continues to do its job and we don't have to go through any Keppra withdrawals or rebounds after tomorrow night. Wish us luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment